Follow Us On Social Media:

Kaur Law Logo

43000 W 9 Mile Rd.

Suite 205, Novi, MI 48375

38750 Paseo Padre Pkwy.

Suite A7, Fremont, CA 94536

Facing Deportation in the United States

If you are facing deportation in the U.S., you need to consult with a knowledgeable immigration attorney. According to Syracuse University, as of October 2023, only 0.23 percent of new cases for deportation orders were based on alleged criminal activity. 

Almost all deportation orders are sought for other reasons, so this shows that non-criminals are almost always the people who face deportation. It also shows why someone facing removal from the United States needs an immigration lawyer with extensive experience in fighting deportation.

Kaur Law PC has skilled legal teams in both California and Michigan. We excel at fighting deportation orders and we are passionate about ensuring our clients’ dignity. Our team not only works to advocate for fair immigration laws, but we also aggressively fight for our clients’ best interests. 

So, if you are at risk of deportation or facing removal proceedings, contact us to see how we can help.

Table of Contents

Ruby Kaur Is definitely the best in her field! Such a kind polite person and goes to all efforts to help you. Rang around and visited other ‘Immigration Law’ places who always seem to be in a rush with you. Certainly not at Kaur law. Ruby Answered all my questions in full detail and made me feel so reassured & took her time with me. Like wise with Karan and Anu Kaur as wel. Certainly the best team together! Will definitely carry on doing business with these guys in the future. Thank you
Kaylum – Google Review

We're Here To Support You

Don't Gamble with Your Future by Navigating Immigration Complexities Alone. Rely on a Trusted Immigration Attorney at Kaur Law P.C..

Deportation – Removal Proceedings

A removal proceeding is what happens when the government starts the process for an order of removal, also known as deportation. 

Anyone in the U.S. who is not a U.S. citizen and has violated the terms of their green card, has overstayed their nonimmigrant visa, or has a criminal history, could be subject to removal proceedings. Any non-citizen considered a threat to public safety can also be deported.

Don't Wait Until It's Too Late. Request A Consultation Today!

FAQs About Deportation

Deportation law and removal proceedings in the United States can be confusing. 

We understand that if you are facing deportation, you have lots of questions. 

We’ll go over some of the most frequently asked questions about U.S. deportation rules, removal proceedings, and what to do. 

If you need a Michigan lawyer experienced in deportation or a California lawyer experienced in deportation, Kaur Law can answer your more complicated questions at your consultation.

What Happens When a Non-Citizen is Detained?

Sometimes after a non-citizen is detained by ICE, they may end up having to go before a judge in immigration court. Still, other times, non-citizens end up with expedited removal and they are never allowed a hearing in immigration court.

We see expedited removal in situations like the following:

What is a Cancellation of Removal for Non-Lawful Permanent Residents?

Individuals in removal proceedings without legal status who have been continuously present in the U.S. for at least 10 years, can show good moral character, have not been convicted of certain offenses, and whose removal would cause exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to their U.S. citizen spouse, parents, or child, may be eligible for non-LPR cancellation. This relief leads to legal permanent status (also known as a green card).

What Is a Cancellation of Removal for Permanent Residents

Individuals with legal permanent status (also known as a green card) who have become removable due to a criminal record may be eligible for cancellation of removal. An individual must be a legal permanent resident for five years, continuously present in the U.S for at least 7 years, and have no aggravated felony convictions.

What Is Voluntary Departure?

Voluntary Departure allows individuals, who are otherwise removable, to depart from the U.S. by a certain date on their own, at their own expense. Departing voluntarily can protect a non-citizen from the consequences of having a removal order on their record, including not becoming automatically inadmissible from the country. You can ask for this before a removal hearing, at the Master Hearing, or at the end of a removal hearing. Asking for voluntary departure after your hearing is also known as “Post-conclusion Voluntary Departure” and it is more difficult to receive.

You should know though that asking for voluntary departure means that you won’t qualify for any other form of immigration relief. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney before asking for voluntary departure.

What Is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of status is the process of changing a temporary immigration status, like a student or tourist, to a permanent resident. Adjustment of Status can also be used as a defense during removal proceedings in some cases.

What Are U Visas for Victims of Crimes?

The U visa is available for non-citizens who have been victims of a qualifying crime, including domestic violence, and have suffered mental and physical abuse. It provides victims with immigration status including work authorization, status for qualifying family members, and the possibility of lawful permanent residency (also known as a green card).

What is VAWA?

The Violence Against Woman Act, or VAWA, allows an abused spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident lawful status in the U.S. The survivor must be present in the U.S. for at least 3 years. VAWA provides employment authorization and access to public benefits.

Don't Wait Until It's Too Late. Request A Consultation Today!

Can You Be Readmitted into the United States After Deportation?

You may be able to reapply to be admitted back into the U.S. after you have been deported or removed, but if you were found inadmissible under the Immigration and Nationality Act, you will need to ask for consent to reapply for admission. 

To apply for consent to reapply, you will need to provide copies of all documentation related to your deportation and removal proceedings, including the final order of exclusion, deportation or removal. You will need all your documents, all your dates, and a bunch of other evidence. This is a complicated process, and you should always consult with an immigration attorney

Can You Appeal a Deportation Order?

Sometimes, non-citizens can appeal a deportation ruling. It is crucial to contact an immigration lawyer with experience appealing deportation rulings if you are appealing.

What Languages Does Your Law Firm Offer?

To better serve our clients, we provide multilingual services, including English, Arabic, Spanish, Hindi and Punjabi. We know how important avoiding deportation is and will help in any way we can. If you need deportation legal representation in California or Michigan, you can take the first step by filling our contact form

Choosing a Lawyer When Facing Deportation

It is so important that whatever attorney you choose has experience with and dedication to immigration law. When facing deportation, there is absolutely no room for error.

Our Michigan immigration lawyers and our California immigration lawyers will look at your situation and determine whether we can help you stay in the United States. You will be treated with dignity and respect. Our consultations are confidential, so you have nothing to lose by reaching out today.

Skip to content