Follow Us On Social Media:

Kaur Law Logo

43000 W 9 Mile Rd.

Suite 205, Novi, MI 48375

38750 Paseo Padre Pkwy.

Suite A7, Fremont, CA 94536

U Visas For Crime Victims

Table of Contents

The U visa is a nonimmigrant status that helps both law enforcement and victims of certain crimes. There are many people in the US who don’t have a lawful immigration status when they become the victim of a crime. Unfortunately, in addition to the crime they’ve endured, these undocumented immigrants must then live with the fear that if they go to law enforcement to report the crime, they could get deported. The U visa is a nonimmigrant visa that was created to address this exact scenario.

If a person’s U visa is approved, it gives the victim of certain crimes the following benefits:
  • Temporary immigration status
  • Temporary work authorization
  • Temporary immigration status for their qualifying family members
  • The possibility of applying for lawful permanent resident status

We understand the fear of deportation and the terror of potentially having your life uprooted and family separated. In fact, this topic is close to our hearts. So, if you need to petition for a U visa or are having trouble with your U visa case, contact us to see how we can help.

I highly recommend working with Ruby and her team. Kaur Law helped us successfully navigate and apply for spousal permanent residency for my husband. Ruby and her team were very communicative during the entire process and comprehensively addressed all of our questions and concerns. Ruby’s team also promptly responded to request for evidence from USCIS. Ruby thoroughly prepared us for the interview with USCIS. We felt like we were in good hands every step of the way. We will definitely work with Kaur Law again for immigration related cases.

Amanda E – Google Review

We're Here To Support You

Don't Gamble with Your Future by Navigating Immigration Complexities Alone. Rely on a Trusted Immigration Attorney at Kaur Law P.C..

The Role of Law Enforcement in U Visas

For officers sworn to uphold the law, the U visa offers them a way to establish trust with the victim of a crime. U visas provide a way for law enforcement to keep the country safer and help victims seek justice without the additional fear of deportation. 

The law enforcement officer plays a huge role in the application process for a U visa. The U visa is used to establish U nonimmigrant status for someone that needs to work with law enforcement to bring their perpetrators to justice.

While law enforcement officials can’t actually grant a crime victim their U visa, they do provide U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) the crucial information that it needs to determine U visa eligibility. 

Law enforcement officials submit a signed Form 1-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification as evidence in support of the victim’s petition to USCIS for U nonimmigrant status. Sometimes victims don’t know that a U visa is an option. Law enforcement officials can provide victims with this information to help them feel more comfortable.

Don't Wait Until It's Too Late. Request A Consultation Today!

U Visa Eligibility

USCIS will look at a few factors in order to determine a person’s eligibility for a U visa. 

To be eligible to apply, you must meet all the following points:

  • Be a victim of a qualifying crime or criminal activity
  • Have information about the crime or criminal activity.
  • Be likely to be helpful in the investigation, detection, prosecution, conviction, or sentencing of the perpetrator of the crime or criminal activity

You will need to fill out a Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status and submit all supporting documents, so it’s important to get a lawyer’s help. Even though law enforcement agents may be happy to keep up their end of the bargain, their priority is bringing the perpetrator to justice. Ours is protecting you.

Don't Wait Until It's Too Late. Request A Consultation Today!

FAQs about U Visas

For the purpose of U visa eligibility, there is a large list of “qualifying criminal activities.” Similar crimes may also be seen as qualifying criminal activity. The general categories include the following:

  • Abduction | Holding someone hostage | False Imprisonment | Kidnapping
  • Abusive Sexual Contact | Incest | Sexual Assault | Sexual exploitation | Sex Trafficking | Prostitution | Rape
  • Blackmail
  • Conspiracy
  • Domestic Violence
  • Felonious Assault | Torture
  • Female Genital Mutilation
  • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting
  • Involuntary Servitude | Peonage | Slave Trade | Trafficking
  • Manslaughter | Murder
  • Obstruction of Justice
  • Perjury
  • Stalking | Torture
  • Witness Tampering

Form I-918 – Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification can be certified by many people involved with the legal system. In fact, any federal, state, or local law enforcement authority, prosecuting attorney, or judge can sign this supplemental form to help you get a U visa if you are a victim of a qualifying crime.

Any official who has responsibility for the detecting, investigating, prosecuting, convicting, or sentencing the qualifying criminal activity can fill out and sign Form I-918 – Supplement B. Supervisors and certain other officials within Child Protective Services, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Department of Labor can also complete the certification.

The signing of the certification itself doesn’t grant you a U visa, but it is needed to get a U visa. USCIS still must review the evidence to determine whether to grant you your U visa. USCIS will also do a background check on you and your family members. If you are a crime victim, it’s important for you to consult with a qualified immigration attorney before seeking a U visa.

No, if your I-918 is approved and USCIS requires that you go through biometric services, as a U visa applicant, you don’t have to pay the fee for them.

If you are in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming, send your form to one of the following addresses:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS Nebraska Service Center
Attn: I-918
PO Box 87918
Lincoln, NE 68501-7918

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS Nebraska Service Center
Attn: I-918
850 S Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

If you are in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Florida, Georgia, Guam, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia U.S. Virgin Islands, West Virginia, or Wisconsin, or if you are outside the United States, send your form to the following address:

USCIS Vermont Service Center
Attn: I-918
38 River Rd.
Essex Junction, VT 05479-0001

If you are considered the principal U nonimmigrant, in other words, if you were the victim of the crime and are the petitioner, you will become authorized to work once USCIS has approved your U nonimmigrant status. This happens automatically and you don’t have to do anything extra. Importantly, USCIS will automatically issue an Employment Authorization Document if they approve your petition. That means there is no reason to bother filing a separate Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

If your family members who’ve applied for a derivative U status are already in the US, they become authorized to work as soon as USCIS approves their derivative petition for U nonimmigrant status. One important difference though is that your family members will not automatically get an EAD. They will still have to file Form I-765 to request the document.

Choosing a Lawyer When Seeking a U Visa

It is so important that your immigration attorney has experience in U visas so that they can protect you. Our Michigan immigration lawyers and California immigration lawyers may be able to help you if you believe you are eligible to apply for U nonimmigrant status or if you have been “offered a U visa” by law enforcement. We also offer confidential consultations.

We provide multilingual services, including English, Arabic, Spanish, Hindi and Punjabi, and we aggressively and compassionately represent our clients. Contact Kaur Law PC by calling one of our locations in Michigan or California or by filling out our contact form

Skip to content